11 September 2014
I know, this is old news now. I wanted to mail you about this ASAP after The Big News Announcement, but had a really busy day. Anyway, everyone’s asking it, so I’ll ask it too: what do you think about the new Apple Watch?
Second thing I asked myself was why it was not called, “iWatch.” After some research, it seems Apple’s marketing people decided to remove the “i” because one big challenge to the product’s success is whether people are actually want to be seen wearing one. It’s fashion first, technology second, so no geeky “i”.
I can certainly see why Apple is so concerned about the fashion issue, and I can definitely see everyone wearing their new Apple Watch in early 2015 when it is first released… But then, in a year or two, after the novelty has worn off, and everyone’s tired of the zillions of new straps and ways to pimp it, it will be seen as a bit silly and boring to wear one (see photo above), and people will go back to their iPhones, Rolex, or the latest from Bell&Ross etc etc.
Or will it be a more essential product like the iPhone or iPad?
Speak soon my friend!
7 August 2014
Hey the MLE,
I was working on a project that led me to the UEG site the other day, and I thought it was about time I write a post about this fashion brand, as they are so interesting for a number of reasons:
- They are based in Warsaw.
- Their pieces are designed to deteriorate over time, as they are all made of Tyvek, that synthetic fabric that feels like paper. "The deterioration is a way to emphasize and meditate on some of the key ideas of consumerism, like the obsession for the new and the resulting quickness with which new becomes old." Definitely the spirit of MOTHandRUST right?
- Not only do they use only one material, but they also use only 2 non-colours: black or white. No grey.
- They do not distinguish between sexes or seasons.
- One of my favourite artists, Filip Pagowski, has collaborated with them with a line created to raise the awareness of the crucial role bees play in our ecosystem (bottom picture above).
- They just launched in LA in the US of A. I love the photoshoot for the launch (pictured above).
I think MOTHandRUST has a lot in common with UEG. Perhaps a collaboration one day?